Queen resolves to challenge mobility issues by making two appearances on Buckingham Palace balcony

To showcase the resilience of her record-breaking reign, the Queen vowed to make two appearances on the balcony of Buckingham Palace on Thursday, the first day of her jubilee celebrations.

Despite the recent mobility restrictions, the appearances will take place during Her Majesty’s official birthday parade, the start of the four-day bank holiday weekend.

A royal source said: “The Queen is determined to be part of the Jubilee. Troops are a week early for this year’s Jubilee and the Queen is desperate to be a part of it.

Crowds are expected to line up in the shopping centre to watch, as the 1st Battalion of the Irish Guard and more than 1,500 officers and men from the home sector will gather here.

To demonstrate the resilience of her record-breaking reign, the Queen vowed to make two appearances from the balcony of Buckingham Palace on Thursday, the first day of her jubilee celebrations

To demonstrate the resilience of her record-breaking reign, the Queen vowed to make two appearances from the balcony of Buckingham Palace on Thursday, the first day of her jubilee celebrations

More than 350 horses and hundreds of military musicians will take part in the parade, and members of the royal family will ride and ride down the mall to the ceremonial cavalry guards parade.

This year marks a big departure from the usual traditions for the 260-year-old event. Rather than inspecting the army herself – a duty the Queen undertakes every year during her reign – Her Majesty has reluctantly agreed to scale back her involvement, instead planning to appear on the balcony of Buckingham Palace next to her cousin, the Duke of Kent, as the guard returns to the barracks salute.

The Prince of Wales will replace the Queen and inspect the army from horseback.

The Queen will return to the balcony later, with more family members joining her to watch the RAF flyby at the end of the parade.May 22 Mall ahead of next week's festivities

The Queen will return to the balcony later, with more family members joining her to watch the RAF flyby at the end of the parade.May 22 Mall ahead of next week’s festivities

The Queen will return to the balcony later, with more family members joining her to watch the RAF flyby at the end of the parade.

Buckingham Palace announced that “after careful consideration”, the Queen will not invite the Duke of York or the Duke and Duchess of Sussex to join her as they are no longer working members of the royal family.

A palace spokesman said appearances on the royal balcony would be limited to members of the royal family “currently performing official duties on behalf of the Queen”.

Members of the royal family watch an RAF air show from the balcony of Buckingham Palace during the Queen's annual birthday parade on June 8, 2019

Members of the royal family watch an RAF air show from the balcony of Buckingham Palace during the Queen’s annual birthday parade on June 8, 2019

The Queen (pictured) attended the Chelsea Flower Show earlier this week, where she moved around in a chauffeured golf cart

The Queen (pictured) attended the Chelsea Flower Show earlier this week, where she moved around in a chauffeured golf cart

Corgis still top dog

Corgis soar in popularity - thanks to Jubilee and Netflix's The Crown

Corgis soar in popularity – thanks to Jubilee and Netflix’s The Crown

Corgis have skyrocketed in popularity – thanks to Jubilee and Netflix’s The Crown.

More than 1,200 puppies were registered with the Kennel Club last year, the highest number in nearly 30 years.

“The Queen has played an integral role in bringing corgis into the public consciousness,” a spokesman said.

They include the Prince of Wales and Duchess of Cornwall, the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and their children Prince George, Princess Charlotte and Prince Louis, the Earl and Countess of Wessex and their children Lady Louise and Viscount James, Princess Anne With her husband, Lieutenant-General Sir Timothy Lawrence, the Duke and Duchess of Gloucester, the Duke of Kent and Princess Alexandra.

The first visible sign of a change in traditional arrangements came yesterday when Prince William conducted a colonel’s review of the Irish Guard, which was seen as a dress rehearsal for the main force ceremony.

The Queen’s podium, where she was expected to watch the ceremony, was missing.

It will be a source of sadness for the Queen not to play her usual role in her first full-scale military parade since 2019.

Troop ceremonies at Windsor Castle’s quadrangle rather than at the Horse Guards parade have been drastically reduced over the past two years due to Covid restrictions.

Tonight, the Queen’s late husband, Prince Philip, will be remembered in a feature-length BBC documentary celebrating the Jubilee.

Her Majesty, who has seen the documentary and is thought to have approved, provided the voice-over for the film. Other parts of the audio were stitched together in a private home video provided by the Queen to make the movie.

In one segment, the Queen can be heard saying of Philip: “That mischievous, inquiring flash was as bright at the end as it was when I first saw him.”

A royal source said:

A royal source said: “The Queen is determined to be part of the Jubilee. Troops are a week early for this year’s Jubilee and the Queen is very keen to be a part of it” (Piccadilly Circus on Friday ahead of the Jubilee)

£200m for royal memorabilia

Britons are expected to spend more than £200 million on Platinum Jubilee souvenirs and gifts.

About 6 million cups, 10 million flags and 1 million books and portraits of the Queen are expected to be snapped up, according to the Retail Research Centre.

Halcyon Days is one of only 14 companies in Stoke-on-Trent producing fine china and one of only 14 companies to hold three Royal Warrants , which is selling a £825 hand-enamel box containing a 1956 Cecil Beaton portrait of the Queen and a bone china mug adorned with the iconic £39 red telephone box.

Britons are expected to spend more than £200 million on Platinum Jubilee souvenirs and gifts.The picture shows the souvenirs in the store before the 70th anniversary

Britons are expected to spend more than £200 million on Platinum Jubilee souvenirs and gifts.The picture shows the souvenirs in the store before the 70th anniversary

Others, however, are looking to cash in on the profligate spending with some more unusual offerings. Royal fans can let the Queen look after them while they sleep by installing ‘weird and wild’ Jubilee blinds from BlindsbyPost.

Fitness enthusiasts can don Jubilee leggings for £48, featuring a full-body pastel portrait of the Queen on each leg, and a Canterbury-based company sells Queen and Corgi salt and pepper shakers for £6.50.

For the truly dedicated collector, there are 10,000 souvenirs produced in China, each of which was incorrectly stamped as “Platinum Jubbly” instead of Jubilee. The mugs, mugs and plates were snapped up by wholesale customs clearance sites. Owner Carl Baxter said: “What could be more unique than our misprinted pottery?”

The Queen is pictured at the Royal Windsor Horse Show at Windsor Castle Family Park as she uses a cane to help move

The Queen is pictured at the Royal Windsor Horse Show at Windsor Castle Family Park as she uses a cane to help move

Party ban ‘because closed roads are confusing’

A “Party Poo” Nine street parties have been banned by councils, citing concerns that “road closed” signs could confuse drivers.

Locals on Merewood Road in Barnehurst have called for the closure of South East London’s Bexley Council, which has rejected their demands – although it appears to fit the bill as it is lined with It’s all houses, buses don’t use it, and traffic can be diverted easily to nearby roads.

The council said a small roundabout at one end would clutter the diversion. But resident Joanne Baker said: “The city council is a party member. We ordered bunting and … we could have built a bouncy castle for the kids but that didn’t happen because we had to scale back our plans.

When residents said they would hold parties in their front gardens that did not require permission, the council warned them not to gather on the sidewalk.

A party on Langdale Crescent in Bexleyheath was stopped when the council said it had first booked the gas works, while an event on Maiden Lane in Crayford was ruled out after officials said the road diversion was inappropriate, despite an alternative route nearby.

The council said it had approved 140 other road closures.