Ewan McGregor has defended his Obi-Wan Kenobi partner Moses Ingram after revealing she has been harassed by racist direct messages since the series premiered last week.
“There is no place in this world for racism,” the 51-year-old A-list actor said in a “Star Wars” clip posted to his Twitter on Tuesday. “It seems some fan base…has decided to attack Moses Ingram online and send her the most horribly racist DMs. I heard some of them this morning and it breaks my heart.
McGregor praised Ingram, 29, for being “a fantastic actor”, “a fantastic woman” and “absolutely amazing on this series”, adding that he was “disgusted… which has been occur.
The latest Ewan McGregor, 51, has defended his Obi-Wan Kenobi, 29-year-old starring Moses Ingram, after she said that since the series premiered last week She has been harassed by racist direct messages since
“I just want to say that as the lead actor of the series, as the executive producer of the series, we stand with Moses,” the Trainspotting actor said. “We love Moses and if you send her a bullying message then in my opinion you are not a Star Wars fan.”
Ingram, who plays Sith investigator Rewa Sewand on Disney+, took to Instagram Stories to showcase a series of paranoid messages she received on social media.
The Baltimore-born actress spoke of the biting sarcasm: “There’s nothing anyone can do about it. There’s nothing anyone can do to stop this hatred. I question the purpose of my even saying it’s happening in front of you. I really do not know.
Ingram has confessed to the sense of helplessness she felt amid the amount of abuse she suffered.
The veteran actor responds to Ingram’s claims about being harassed online, ‘there’s no place for racism in this world’
McGregor praised Ingram for being ‘an outstanding actor’, ‘an outstanding woman’ and ‘absolutely amazing on this series’
Trainspotting actor says: ‘We love Moses, if you send her a bullying message then you’re not a Star Wars fan in my opinion’
“What bothers me is this feeling inside of me that no one told me, but this feeling that I have to shut up and accept it, I have to live with it with a smile. And I’m not built that way,” she said.
Ingram added: “So, I wanted to go up and say thank you to those who came up in the comments and where I wasn’t going to put myself. To the rest of you, you’re all weird.
After Ingram publicly disclosed the harassment she experienced, the Star Wars franchise released a statement supporting Ingram.
“We are proud to welcome Moses Ingram to the Star Wars family and are excited for Rewa’s story to unfold,” a tweet from the account read. “If someone is going to make her feel unwelcome, we have only one thing to say: we boycott.”
Another said: “There are over 20 million sentient species in the Star Wars galaxy, don’t choose to be racist.”
Ingram shows off series of vile messages sent to her by her character on the series
A series of tweets from Star Wars social media pages show support for the actress
Celebrities including Eiza Gonzalez and Kumail Nanjiani have joined in supporting Ingram.
Gonzalez, 32, praised Ingram for being “consistent” and “brilliant” in her work.
Talking about their collaboration on the film Ambulance, Gonzalez said she “loves working with Ingram” and congratulated her on her high-profile role in the Star Wars franchise.
Nanjiani, 44, retweeted McGregor’s video, saying: “I stand with Moses.”
“Moses Ingram is an amazing character and actress, and I’m excited about her amazing work over the decades,” he said in a tweet.
Star Trek: Strange New World star Anson Mount expressed his support for Ingram in an Instagram post.
“She’s an extraordinary talent and a new addition to the @starwars universe,” said Mount, 49. “She’s also been targeted by racists masquerading as fans because her presence threatens a twist. A dystopian fantasy that selectively ignores @therealbillydee and others.” We, the Trek family, got her back.
Celebrities including Eiza Gonzalez and Kumail Nanjiani join forces to support Ingram
Nanjiani praises Ingram on a personal and professional level